Thursday, November 30, 2006

The song stuck in my head

Goddammit!

I already have enough difficulty getting to sleep at a decent hour. But on a night when I have a job interview the next day, the last thing I need is this tune richocheting around in the hollow orb that once contained my brain:

Bananas and pineapples!
Bananas and pineapples!
Tap your head!
Crap your head!
Tap your head!
Crap your head!


In fairness to the song's creator -- which would be that sweet, curly mained Little Pea, who I adore -- the line "Crap your head!" is really supposed to be "Clap your head!" But Little Pea is just twee and a half, and a 'L' sounds like an 'R,' while 'R's sound like 'W's in her world.

Nevertheless, her performance of this song the other evening was long enough, dramatic enough -- it had her own YMCA-like moves -- and loud enough to imprint itself indelibly as, "Crap your head!"

And it is, as such, running around my little noggin like a dog chasing its tail.

Lord help me.

But you know, it's really altogether appropriate when I think about it. See, tomorrow, I have a job interview at what I (humorously but altogether inappropriately) am calling, "The Home of the Criminally Insane." It's a transitional group home for people who've spent a few years -- or more -- in the state mental hospital after being found not guilty of some crime or other by reason of insanity.

If anything, therapists are supposed to be empathetic with our clients. Some shoes -- perhaps as those worn by the criminally insane (or insanely criminal) -- can be very hard to step in and feel the empathy.

But when, as I have, you have been finishing up a treatment plan for a child with OCD after a night of the kind of love nibbles on my ear that only my Research Methods class can supply, coming on the heels of a week in which I've been retaining too much water and feeling randomly and wantonly pissed off at my sister-in-law -- and when, to top it all off, you find yourself singing "Crap your head! Crap your head!" -- perhaps it's a little easier to understand the criminally insane *and* the insanely criminal.

I'm just sayin'.

No comments: