Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Shoes...

Despite the fact that I know better, I've gone off and acquired myself a pair of flip-flops. Given the mechanical difficulties I have with my left ankle, I'm not supposed to walk around in such unsupportive frivolity.

I bought them anyway. They were cute, and the warm day got me to daydreaming about swimming in the lake this summer. I wanted something that was easier to slip on and slip off -- and hose off.

But the darn things cost $65 bucks. FLIP-FLOPS! Nevertheless, I rationalized this silly purchase two ways: I had a 20 percent off coupon, *and* I had a $55 dividend check from REI, where I bought them. So in the end, I got the flip-flops and a new bike lock for $24.

Somehow, that justifies everything.

After making my purchase, I went for a hike in Forest Park with the In-Flight Martini Vomit man. He was breaking in a new pair of boots in preparation for a trek in Bhutan (damn how he makes me jealous!), so we hiked for about two-and-a-half hours.

My walking shoes were rubbing my toes the wrong way on the downhill, so as soon as we got to the car, I dug those new flip-flops out of the bag and let my toes chill out. Made them worth every penny instantly.

No comments: