Sunday, April 09, 2006

A shout out to S2. Whoop! Whoop!

Girlfriend kicks ass!

So yesterday, S2 tells me she's expecting to run a half marathon in 2:10 if she has a good day. "Best-case scenario," she says, "would be two hours." (Worst case would be like what happened to the author of the In-Flight Martini Vomit e-mail, who had an aneurism while running such a race.)

This afternoon, I checked in on our intrepid runner, who was doing 13.1 miles as a training regimine for her soccer playing. (S2, you might recall, is so named because she is both a soccer player and a soccer mom, which makes her doubly bad.) She's a mid-fielder, so she's got to have legs that endure.

She crossed the finish line this morning in two hours flat -- her best-case scenario.

Now, it's a total shame that S2's summer school schedule will keep her off the field most games, but when she's out there, I'm sure she'll run circles around those lumbering fullbacks and steal the ball away from the flighty forwards who cross her path.

Even back when I was much more fit and agile -- and played a really *nasty* fullback with a hard shoulder and a mean sliding kick -- I never wanted to deal with the squirrely mids like S2 must be. The running she's been doing lately would make her ... dangerous. Plus, she just seems like the kinda gal who delivers a kick that no shin guard can protect against.

So to S2, I take off my hat (even though I'm not wearing one). Not only are you an incredible friend and a tireless and patient mom, but, at 38, you are Girl Power personified. Stay hard core, my sister.

No comments: