Sunday, January 14, 2007

RIP: Kiska

I got a text message early this morning from Mr. Shineyhead, informing me that his beloved Kiska was put to sleep last night at Dove Lewis.

Kiska was the *ancient* (15 or 16 years old) deaf little "eskimo" dog with the degenerative hips who I sometimes cared for while Mr. Shineyhead was working.

Kiska was also the first dog of indistinguishable sex that I have ever known. Because of those bad hips, Kiska did not relieve him/herself in the usual ways. What's more, his/her coat was so thick -- and my curiosity so dim -- that I never explored the body parts to suss out whether it was a boy or a girl. At this point, I think it's probably rude to ask.

I make this note only because I was wanting to say "he" or "she" was a fine pooch who will no doubt be missed by his/her doting (and distinctively male) owner.

It sucks when dogs die. If you have one, give it an extra scratch behind the ears today in appreciation of the boundless affection they bring into your life.

No comments: