Sunday, May 28, 2006

Rejected by the Peace Corps

My Alter Ego is suffering from depression. That's just great. Supposedly, she's in psychotherapy, but I haven't heard anything more about it.

I think she's all bummed because she wanted to join the Peace Corps, and, even at the risk of losing her boyfriend, she applied. The boy got all pissed at her and broke up even before she found out if she'd been accepted or not. Turns out, she's "not sensitive enough to do this kind of work." (shock and dismay, i tell ya, shock and dismay....)

She's just passed through young adulthood, and it seems she's still living at home. Her mom died from cancer recently. That may be another source for the depression. Who knows?!

Here is my Alter Ego's status report:

"Now, regarding your emotional and personality development...

"You are a very trustworthy person.

"Even though we all have our secrets, you are doing a very good job of keeping your wilder side under control.

"You are quite depressed.

"You can be sensible and understanding.

"You are a pretty jittery kind of person.

"Vocationally, you are doing well.

"You certainly have a good head on your shoulders. You are not only book-smart; you also have plenty of common sense.

"By this time, you may have been feeling a bit of pressure to achieve, get ahead, buy a house or possibly even (gasp!) settle down. You have gone through quite a range of experiences already, but there is a great deal more to come."

Oh yeah, she's also getting maternal urges. Suffice it to say, I don't relate to this at all. In fact, I have no idea why she's "jittery" either. What have I done to this young woman?

And, on the matter of those places where the Real Me and my Alter Ego are a bit too aligned ... it's the part where we're keeping our "wilder side under control." The Real Me is thinking more and more that some of that wildness needs to be unleashed on an unsuspecting world. But how?

Well, I'm going to a barbecue right now with some people who ... oh, let's just say, there's nothing to lose there. Maybe I'll find a little trouble that way. Or learn how to take a nap while standing with a paper plate in my hand. We'll see....

3 comments:

drM said...

huh, and yet the Peace Corps accepted my wildly alcoholic and drug addicted ex boyfriend. That's nice.

But, six months later, it was fun to watch his mother reach all the way across to Ukraine, hook her finger around his collar, and yank his ass back across the Atlantic and dump him into Hazeldon.

Ah youth.

I want a Hazeldon tshirt.

LFSP said...

I had something else in mind, but ... your wish is my command.

Beau Blank said...

i guess not that many people get rejected by the Peace Corps. I was too, twice. so I went on a different kind of mission and got sent home.