Monday, May 15, 2006

And I *still* don't have it!

Got my cello back from the shop today with brand new D & G strings. Cost me $37.

Sat down to practice this evening. C, D & G tune right up. My favorite of the open notes is G. It vibrates nicely in my body. Open C would be my next favorite, because it's so deep and resonates kind of like a fog horn.

But goddammit, wouldn't you know, I go to tune up A, and the thing is saying nothing but, "I'm E! I'm E! And I'm a little flat at that!" (And if a string could snicker, well, you know this one was doing that.)

I touch the peg. Just barely turn it. And POP! There goes another string! I called my teacher and asked what I was doing wrong. Apparently, those pegs are really super sensitive. She said, "Well, if you were getting E out of A, it probably should've broken already, it's that tight. But you probably also don't realize just how *little* you need to turn the peg."

Obviously not. Because I'm snapping 'em faster than they can put them on the cello. So, tomorrow, back in the shop I go. With any luck, they'll patch me up while I'm getting my hair done, and I'll actually be able to practice.

By the way, did I mention that my teacher is really *cute*?

No comments: