Thursday, February 01, 2007

What are words for?

Expression, mainly, and for organizing our thoughts. And for committing experiences to memory.

There is something I'll want to say about my Aunt Liz, but I can't access it right now. In fact, I can't access much of anything within myself at all. A stomach pain. A stiff neck. A very sore jaw. And just, for a few seconds this evening after I hung up from talking to my cousin Spitfire, the faintest whiff of sadness that I know to be lurking beneath my otherwise wholly numb and empty inner being.

At some point, I'll stop this business where I keep telling myself that it didn't happen, that her death -- and the gut-wrenching conversation about it with my beloved Uncle Rick -- was just a bad dream, a fabrication of random neural firings from which I will presently awaken. But my rational side doesn't seem to making much headway in that regard.

In the meantime, here is a dispatch from another bit of random neural firings that I found highly symbolic. No. 8 Dream:

I am trying to eat a bunch of nails. They're about four inches long, and they're the kind that don't have a flared, round head on them. I'm having a lot of difficulty with this task, but for whatever reason, it is "essential." So I'm tilting my head back and stretching my neck like a sword swallower, and I'm doing my best to get them down. Sometimes, I gag and cough them back up, only to force myself to swallow them again.

Eventually, I swallow them all.

And then I find myself wondering: How will these come out without hurting me? Will I die in the process?

No comments: