Saturday, September 02, 2006

Pounding sand

Right. So when I mentioned as how the surf at Magic Sands had pounded me into the ocean's floor and that I had sand covering me through and through, I wasn't exaggerating.

I cannot get rid of the effing sand from my swimsuit. As mentioned previously, I showered at the beach. Then, I showered again at my cousin Spitfire's house. That time, I rinsed the suit out two or three times in the shower. I really worked it over. Lots of sand came out of it.

Last night, I pulled the damp swimsuit from the bag I'd packed it in and went about rinsing and shaking and wrining out the suit several more times and gave it two long baths. Quite a bit of sand washed down the drain.

This morning, heading out for a day at the lake, I noticed it still had sand all over it. As it was dry, I took it outside and shook it and brushed it and even beat it against a chair several times, wiping a lot of sand off. But when I went to put it on, I could still feel a layer of grit.

I swam for extended periods twice in the lake, out in deep, clear water. I used the cover of water to try to brush more sand out of my suit and flood it out. Didn't have much luck there, because when I came home, I removed the suit and found I was covered with fine white sand.

Again, I brushed off the suit, then took it in the shower with me and rinsed it a few times. Lo and behold, that goddamned sand is *still* there. The washing machine is my move of last resort, but I may have to use it.

You ever heard that saying, "Go pound sand up your ass?" ... That's what I managed to do to myself when bodysurfing out at Magic Sands. I've long since showered off and have a stiff neck from the pounding I took. But my swimsuit seems bent on providing a reminder with a little more sticking power.

Also, I seem to be coming down with some kind of ailment. I never manage to travel without getting ill, especially when I go to the tropics. And school is starting Wednesday -- perfect timing.

Perhaps I'll show up first night of class and blow sand out my nose. I'm sure there's quite a bit of it hiding in my sinuses, too.

No comments: