Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Dreaming, continued

Dream No. 5: More sex. Fortunately -- really fortunately -- it was not the same female classmate. It was, as best I can figure, an amalgamation of several women in my life. It was delicious. But it was also ... er, in public. And someone called the cops. (It wasn't *supposed* to be public, but well ... mistakes happen.) Still, though, orgasm-centered as our society is, that little gem took no time at all to find, and I was satisfied and long gone before the cops came. (Excuse me while I bask momentarily in my bad pun.)

P.S. On this topic of an "orgasm-centered society" -- something that has come up in our research project thanks to more than one study's definition of a sexual encounter as one in which at least one partner climaxes (a limited notion, I would say) -- I was talking last night in a bar with a lesbian I know. We were having a rather unqualified discussion about heterosexual bonding through the release of a brain chemical or hormone (I think it's oxytocin) when a woman orgasms and the connection of such bonding to the length of the average relationship. She asked, "Does the hormone stop getting released at some point, or do heterosexual women eventually just stop orgasming?" ... Good question! I don't know. ... What we were able to conclude, from a survey of two (I don't claim reliability or validity here), is that orgasms are very common in lesbian sex. I'd estimate my own experience at about 98 percent of the time over the past 10 years or so -- ever since, that is, I stopped dating the woman with bad breath, which was a substantial distraction from my personal pleasure. Even though we have a lot of orgasms, our relationships still breakup, too. Hmmm.

No comments: