Sunday, July 09, 2006

No room for dessert

We ate so goddamned much sushi last night -- it came out in three stages and took us two hours to eat it -- that, in the end, there was some suggestion that *someone* wasn't doing his or her "bit" to finish off the last three pieces of spicy tuna roll.

As far as I'm concerned, when you come within three pieces of sushi of satisfying the hunger of everyone at a table of five, you've done a very good job of ordering.

However, the downside is that none of us had room for dessert, even though at least three of us had a burning curiosity about a particular item on the menu:

Deep-fried cheesecake.

Yeah, you read that right.

Deep-fried cheesecake. With whipped cream, melted chocolate and a maraschino cherry on top.

"That must be your kind of food," The Clairvoyant told me. "It sounds like a Southern thing."

Not that I've heard of, I replied. It must be some kind of Japanese thing. It was, after all, fried in some kind of Japanese batter.

S2 shrugged and said, "I want to see it, but I'm not sure I want to eat it."

Briefly, I considered ordering it just so we could all look at it and poke it a little. But with a full stomach and an allergy to dairy products (and being aware of what a really awful thing a full stomach and a dairy allergy can be in combination), I made no move to do so.

Then the bill came without the waitress offering us dessert. (The restaurant was empty by that point.)

Cheesecake tempura. A missed opportunity....

2 comments:

ctrl-freak said...

Don't do it..

While 1 fork full (to taste, simply) would be okay, you'd most likely go in for the second taste "to make sure you liked it" which would snowball into finishing the thing.

Then you are left with a somewhat greasy, dairy product in your system.

And besides, it's not even authentic Japanese desert.

LFSP said...

To me, it sounded disgusting. But I was curious. ... I don't even like cheesecake. And fried things? Potatoes and oysters and some tempura, and that's about my limit.

But thank you for the warning. ... I have *no idea* where this dessert originated. It doesn't sound Japanese *or* Southern to me. I'm thinking: Dakotas.