Saturday, March 25, 2006

A killer over the garage

My friend and classmate, The Debutante, called me from the airport yesterday to tell me where I could find the keys to her Jeep, so it would be easier for me to move all my bidness over to the loft.

At the same time, she told me that this woman used to be her nanny and lived over the garage of her house for many, many years.

"She was always -- and I guess this is rather telling -- she was always so sweet," The Deb said. "She was also a very religious woman."

Somehow, I said, I'm thinking the fact that she was very religious is more telling than her being sweet was.

"That's probably true," The Deb said. "I guess that oppressive small-town living and that weird Church of Christ stuff can really take its toll on someone."

Tell me about it. Not that I've ever killed anyone. But religion. Ugh! It *can* make you crazy. Fo sho.

"I was watching the news last night -- I tend to watch too much of it -- and I saw this story unfolding. There was an amber alert out because the kids were missing," The Deb says. "I didn't recognize her at first, but then this morning, she confessed. My mom and I have been talking about this all day. I just can't believe it. It's so weird...."

Well, it will be an interesting story to track. Why did the pastor's wife kill him, anyway? I'll get the scoop from The Debutante and fill you in later.

No comments: