Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Spring Break

My Spring Break officially begins today.

After class tonight, S2 noted that it's a bit "queer" that we have one. (I think she wanted to say that it's "so gay" but decided to be politically correct about it.) I'm not sure why she thinks that -- except for the fact that lately she seems in want of a beer bong (full of tequila) and that she yelled, in a hoarse voice, "Padre!" in the parking lot when class was out.

That was a major-league flashback for me and the most unexpected thing I've ever heard come out of her mouth (except, perhaps, the word "biscuit"). "Padre!" was a reference to South Padre Island, the Spring Break haunt of many people from the heartland. Even though S2 went to college in Colorado, I rather expected she would be inclined toward Daytona or San Diego (for all that boozing you could do in Tijuana).

But she said, "Padre!" and I automatically thought of a pet fish that died on a Spring Break road trip to that destination. Not to mention a flash of a bad sunburn, very weak drinks, a large pyramid of Corona bottles and some girls I was digging. I can't remember it clearly, but think I slept (read: passed out) on a sand dune one night. It would explain the sand-flea bites.....

Ah. That all *was* so ... gay.

Things will be different this year.

Instead of being bitten by sand fleas, it's possible I'll awaken on a lanai with gekkos crawling all over me. And if the spirit of my aunt is at work, I'll get to watch them having wild gekko sex.

The drinks will not be weak. They're more likely to be too strong.

There will almost assuredly be a sunburn.

Who knows if there will be any girls to dig or not. I'm betting not. (But you never know.)

I'll be taking my first sail on the ocean. (The In-Flight Martini Vomit Man will be so proud of me!) I'll be waking to the sound of tropical birds, eating more bacon than I ought to, pushing all sorts of "bad" things into my cells and taking some time to float in warm waters.

I'm also anticipating a rather emotionally intense experience, which is both a bit worrisome and totally necessary for my psychological well-being.

Hardly the Spring Break of old.

But then, we're all getting older. And as far as I can tell, we're getting *better* at having a good time, not worse.

I may be a while until I blog again. But I'll be back. In the meantime ... aloha and mahalo, my friends.

No comments: