Monday, October 22, 2007

Lost Weekend

There were three social outings: one at a dive bar, one at a pub, one at a great little live music venue down the street.

There were also three social visits at my place, which involved three viewings of my most recent collage creation (and, I will admit, a continuing desire on my part to futz with it, even though I'm allegedly "done"). Two of the visits included interviews about death and dying. One also involved dinner and ended in the wee, wee hours -- 6 a.m. this morning -- after I received a massage with a "homemade" oil composed of olive oil, vanilla extract and ground ginger. Kinda made my sheets like a fragrant Shroud of Turin when all was said and done.

The weekend included a fair amount of alcohol: Six beers over the course of three outings. Several glasses of wine. And there's was some assistance from Mother Nature's herbal armory.

Also, there were more lesbians or otherwise queer girls than to which I've become accustomed. The last one to cross my path tonight was none other than the "feral lesbian" I met at a classmate's birthday party a few weeks ago. I have to say that the woman intrigues me. We are from diferrent planets: she's older, fairly goth and I think she would probably be able to show me a thing or two that I've never seen. Tonight's encounter was brief, but I have a feeling there will be more.

Last weekend, I had dinner one night with Dr. M. At one point in the conversation, as I was describing something about The Florist, Dr. M said, "Well, she sounds like she'd be a perfect addition to your strange ... uh, menagerie." The people who've become my friends over the years -- both here and in California -- are widly disparate in their backgrounds, lifestyles and perspectives. Looking around at the new social circles to which I'm being introduced as a result of my internship, I suspect my "menagerie" is likely to become increasingly diverse.

Except for this one thing: The heavy, *heavy* presence of people connected to psychology or social work. But as The Good Witch pointed out to me yesterday: If I didn't want to socialize with that crowd, I probably shouldn't have gone off and paid $40,000 for the pleasure of becoming one of them.

Well. That's it for me. Life has gotten hectic with my internship and some of the shifts I'm working -- and all the stuff I'm now doing and writing around my death & dying study -- I'm not posting as frequently as I have been. And then, when the weekend's been lost and there's probably still a little too much alcohol in my system, you end up with rambling shit like this. Please bear with me.

No comments: